Sign language is now used all over the world in many different forms. In this online course we will primarily focus on the UK’s main form of sign language: British Sign Language (BSL).
The course will also take a look at the importance of deaf awareness and why sign language is such an irreplaceable tool. People who learn sign language have many opportunities in the job market, which this course will also go over.
You will then learn many commonly used words in BSL. These are covered in three separate stages:
1. ‘Foundation’ – alphabet, numbers, colours, animals
2. ‘Basic’ – people, hobbies, weather, transport, time
3. ‘Expansion’ – greetings, daily life, home, question forms, expressions, food and drink, compass
The BSL words will be demonstrated in videos. When practising the words yourself, try to copy exactly what the person in the video is doing.
Many signs require the use of only one hand, but some require both hands to be used. You can choose which is your dominant or main hand in signing – most people choose the hand they write with. Whichever you choose, make sure you are consistent. Don’t start signing with one dominant hand and then change halfway through the conversation, as this will lead to confusion.
All in all, you will complete this BSL course with a good knowledge of sign language in general and, specifically, a sound understanding of British Sign Language.
You will then have enough knowledge to go on to complete the Level 1 Award in BSL.
You will learn;
- The difference between British Sign Language and other types of sign language around the world
- How sign language is used, and why it’s so important
- The basics and history of British Sign Language
- Job opportunities for people who learn British Sign Language
- Nearly 300 signs that can help in your day-to-day life
- Gain a working knowledge of British Sign Language
- Discover what kinds of job opportunities people who know sign language have access to
- Learn about important aspects of the deaf community, and help build awareness
- Complete the course with valuable knowledge about sign language and its history
- It’s a great introduction to BSL, before taking the Level 1 Award.
Module1: Introduction to British Sign Language and Overview of Worldwide Sign Language
Module 2: Deaf Awareness and Career Opportunities for People Who Know Sign Language
Module 3: Foundation – Letters
Module 4: Foundation – Numbers
Module 5: Foundation – Colours
Module 6: Foundation – Animals
Module 7: Basic – People
Module 8: Basic – Hobbies
Module 9: Basic – Weather
Module 10: Basic – Transport
Module 11: Basic – Time
Module 12: Expansion – Greetings
Module 13: Expansion – Daily Life
Module 14: Expansion – Home
Module 15: Expansion – Question forms
Module 16: Expansion – Expressions
Module 17: Expansion – Food and Drink
Module 18: Expansion – Compass
Approximately 2.5 hours
Payment Options and Discounts
For purchases of 1 to 9 user enrolments select the number of users you require and add the product to your shopping cart by selecting Add to Cart. You will then be able to make payment using most credit and debit cards or a Paypal account.
For a licence for 10 or more user enrolments, discounts, or if you would like to pay by BACs transfer or by invoice, please contact a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218 or email email@example.com.
Purchasing Options for your Organisation
We offer a variety of purchasing options giving you total flexibility in how you purchase online training for your organisation. Let us know your requirements and we’ll advise you on the most cost efficient method of purchasing:
- User Licence – a licence for a specified user on specified course/s. The user licence consists of a number of enrolments for a user to use on specified courses.
- Course Licence – a licence for specified course/s for any learner. The course licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on specified course/s for any learner;
- Bundle Licence – a licence for a specified bundle of courses. The bundle licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on any course for any learner in the bundle;
- Subscription Licence – a licence for a maximum number of users to access any course in a specified bundle;
- Site Licence – a licence to install one course, or one or more bundles of courses on your own learning management system. The site licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on any course for any learner in the bundle;
For more information on purchasing options and discounts please phone a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218.