We are always interested in current and future trends that impact learning and development, so that we can work with organisations to lesson any negative impact and enhance the positives by offering cost and practical efficiencies.
Brighton School of Business and Management kindly shared with us their excellent infographic on the biggest workplace trends for 2016 . The points that stood out to us that will have an impact on learning and development, are:
- One in four ‘Millennials’, those born between the 1980s and 2000s, will become managers in 2016;
- ‘Millennials’ will need regular feedback and virtual learning compared to the annual performance reviews and printed materials that ‘Baby Boomers’, those born between 1946 and 1964, had;
- ‘Generation Z’, those born between 1994 and 2010, like ‘Millennials’ will seek mentors and will be even more connected through technology;
- Wearable technology is predicted to grow at a rate of 35% over the next 5 years, driven by ‘Generation Z’ entering the workforce in 2016;
- Two in three managers expect their employees to be reachable outside the office.