Unit 1 – is the introduction to the course.
Unit 2 – identifies the different types of cerebral palsy and explains what it is and what can cause it. Learners will explore the facts and statistics about the subject and identify what the benefits are of an early diagnosis. It is extremely important to have a good understanding of the condition in order to be able to offer appropriate and effective support. After completing this unit learners will be aware of the many different ways it can manifest itself and appreciate that the extent to which cerebral palsy affects different people varies greatly.
Unit 3 – introduces learners to the medical and social models of disability and helps them identify which model is more suitable for people with cerebral palsy. Learners will understand how physical therapists can provide people with extra support based on their individual capabilities and needs. The unit also considers visual impairments in the context of people with other disabilities, along with effective ways of helping and reassuring them. Finally, this unit explains person-centred planning
and its importance in any support network.
Unit 4 – emphasises the importance of helping people with disabilities to communicate in whichever way they can, based on their capabilities. Learners will look at some of the augmentative and alternative methods of communication which can help people, such as picture books and Voice Output Communication Aids. The unit goes on to describe communication passports and explain how they are created, maintained and put into practice. Finally, learners are introduced to some of the legislation in place which aims to protect, support and enable people with disabilities to live happy and fulfilling lives.
The objectives for each study unit are that learners will be able to:
- explain what cerebral palsy is
- describe the different types of cerebral palsy
- identify what causes the condition and when it occurs
- list the secondary conditions and impairments that may be associated with cerebral palsy
- understand the benefits to all concerned of an early diagnosis
- explain what is meant by the medical and social models of disability
- choose the more effective model for the support of people with cerebral palsy
- understand how physical therapists play an important role in a person’s support network
- define MDVI and suggest ways of helping and reassuring people with visual impairments
- describe person-centered planning and outline its benefits
- understand people’s rights in terms of communication
- identify ways of helping people to communicate based on their capabilities
- describe augmentative and alternative methods of communicating
- explain what communication books, passports and VOCAs are
- understand the importance of the legislation which protects and supports people with disabilities.
5% discount for between 10 and 19 users purchased and 10% discount for between 20 and 49 users purchased . For larger purchases, site licences, e-learning credits or to find out if discounts are available on mixed course purchases please phone a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218.
Discounts are calculated during the checkout process.
The most straight forward method of payment is to select the number of users you require and add the product to your shopping cart by selecting Add to Cart. You will then be able to make payment using most credit and debit cards or a Paypal account. If you would like to pay by BACs transfer or by invoice please contact a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.