Who is this Course for:
This inclusive online course is suitable for mainstream, neuro-divergent, hearing and visually impaired learners. It is ideal for anyone wanting to learn how to touch type, correct bad habits, and improve their typing skills.
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the location and finger layout for the A-Z keys
- Touch-type words, numbers and punctuation keys accurately
- Use the keyboard without looking at it
- Apply your typing skills to your work
The online course opens with a specialised preference screen that addresses visual disturbances for users who need it. It also includes a VI option for the visually impaired and a ‘Text Only’ option for the hearing impaired.
The course’s proven Accelerated Learning teaching method and its easy-to-follow, step-by-step format allow you to work through the six modules efficiently, systematically and at your own pace. It includes several task-based exercises that provide immediate feedback to reinforce your learning.
The Speedbuilder tool allows you to practice the skills you have learned and improve your typing speed and accuracy whilst the final progress test records your WPM and accuracy, preparing you for your final CPD assessment.
- Flying Start – How to use the course
- The Basics – Learn to touch-type the A-Z keys in 90 minutes
- Just Do It – Exercise and apply your new touch-typing skill
- And The Rest – Learn Shift, numbers, and punctuation key
- Speedbuilder – Daily practice to build speed and accuracy
- Know how to sit with correct posture whilst typing to prevent Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Know the meaning, signs, symptoms and preventative measures of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Know the home row keys
- Know how to locate the home row keys and use them to navigate to other keys
- Know how to touch type the A-Z keys.
- Know how to touch type the punctuation and number keys
- Be able to touch type quickly and accurately (35WPM with 85% accuracy)
No prior knowledge or experience is needed, and there are no formal entry requirements. However, internet access and basic computer skills, such as logging onto the course, would be beneficial.
Course assessment and certification
The CPD assessment comprises a theory paper and a typing test which can be repeated until successful.
Theory Paper Pass – 80%
Typing Test Pass – 35 WPM – Accuracy 80%
All successful learners receive a CPD certificate.