The course is in 5 parts.
To cover the following subjects that meet and exceed the CAA recommended syllabus:
- Air Law
- Ground Maps & Air Navigation Charts
- Airspace Operating Principles
- Aircraft Knowledge
- Airmanship & Aviation Safety
- Human Factors
- Operating Procedures
- Theory Exam Preparation
The eCourse material is made of comprehensive written information and packed with interactive content, videos and activities to test your new knowledge along the way. Whether you’re a visual or verbal learner, our online PfCO makes learning easy, quick and enjoyable.
Learn at your own pace, in your own time – without taking any time off work. All you need to do is login and pick up where you left off. With a progress tracker to mark your success and guide you through each module, all in the comfort of your own home or office.
Part 2: Theory Exam
When you feel ready to pass your theory examination, you can book a date at your preferred testing location. There are 10 exam and flight assessment locations across the UK.
There are mock exam questions included within the eCourse to aid your preparation. The theory exam at the end of the course is undertaken in person at one of 10 venues across the UK; the exam is 1 hour long consisting of 57 multiple-choice questions
Part 3: Practical Flight Test
The Online PfCO course also includes the cost of your practical flight test, which (availability permitting) can be taken on the same day as your written exam. Although the cost is included, you will need to book your practical flight test separately and in advance. There is a Flight Test Preparation eCourse included within your eLearning study materials, to guide you through the process and requirements to undertake your Practical Flight Assessment.
You will need to complete the following before your Flight Test:
- Theory exam passed.
- Operations Manual reviewed and passed by the training team.
- A minimum of 5 hours of logged flight time is strongly recommended; this is to ensure you are able to successfully pass your flight exam and you meet the minimum standard required.
- Insurance in place; students receive FREE insurance for their PfCO practical flight assessment.
- Risk Assessment & Site Assessment paperwork.
- Book your Flight Test
- Appropriate weather
- A drone! If you do not yet have an aircraft, you will need to hire or purchase a drone for the Flight Test.
- Safety equipment; you can purchase a Flight Safety Starter Kit.
- You must complete the whole process within 6 months of passing your theory test, otherwise additional training may be required.
- The test takes approximately 1.5 hours, however this may vary.
- If the flight test is failed the student will incur a retest fee.
There are eight testing locations across the UK so you can complete your practical flight exam close to home; Brighton, Bristol, Guildford, High Wycombe, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow.
Part 4: Operations Manual
You are required to complete an Operations Manual. This sets out how you will operate your drone safely and contains the procedures you will use when flying your drone. This is something you can complete in your own time with templates.
All our online students are assigned a dedicated Drones Instructor as their main point of contact throughout the Permission application process. This instructor will review your Ops Manual and answer any queries you may have along the way.
Once this final section is complete and has been signed off, you can then submit your PfCO application to the CAA.
Part 5: CAA UAS Application
When you have completed all parts of the course successfully, you can submit your paperwork to the CAA via their online application process.
The CAA charge a fee for UAS applications (currently £247) in addition to the online course price. Payment is made online in the final stages of their online UAS application.
Payment Options and Discounts
For purchases of 1 to 9 user enrolments select the number of users you require and add the product to your shopping cart by selecting Add to Cart. You will then be able to make payment using most credit and debit cards or a Paypal account.
For a licence for 10 or more user enrolments, discounts, or if you would like to pay by BACs transfer or by invoice, please contact a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218 or email email@example.com.
Purchasing Options for your Organisation
We offer a variety of purchasing options giving you total flexibility in how you purchase online training for your organisation. Let us know your requirements and we’ll advise you on the most cost efficient method of purchasing:
- User Licence – a licence for a specified user on specified course/s. The user licence consists of a number of enrolments for a user to use on specified courses.
- Course Licence – a licence for specified course/s for any learner. The course licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on specified course/s for any learner;
- Bundle Licence – a licence for a specified bundle of courses. The bundle licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on any course for any learner in the bundle;
- Subscription Licence – a licence for a maximum number of users to access any course in a specified bundle;
- Site Licence – a licence to install one course, or one or more bundles of courses on your own learning management system. The site licence consists of a number of enrolments to use on any course for any learner in the bundle;
For more information on purchasing options and discounts please phone a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218.