Back injury is the main reason for absence from the workplace and one third of all reported injuries that result in three days or more off work are caused by manual handling accidents. In the NHS the situation has been particularly serious, with this type of accident accounting for 40% of all sickness absence, at an estimated cost in the region of £400 million each year.
Employers are required by law to take reasonable steps to safeguard the health and safety of all employees, one of which is increasing awareness about the hazards, and what can be done to minimise risk.
This course covers four main areas:
- Moving and handling and the Law – i.e. the drivers for ensuring you know what you should, and what you and your employers’ responsibilities are
- Spine and back care – structure and function of the spine, what can go wrong and how to avoid it happening
- Moving and Handling Objects – all you need to know to do this safely, e.g. training, risk assessments, equipments, appropriate lifting techniques
- Moving and Handling People – the emphasis is on avoiding manual handling of patients wherever possible. Training, risk assessments and equipment are covered, along with the need to communicate with the person in order to aid co-operation
Having completed the module, learners will be better equipped to move and handle objects safely.
- Welcome and Learning objectives
- Introduction to moving and handling
- Moving and handling and the law
- The spine and spinal problems
- Moving and handling objects safely
- Moving people safely
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be able to download a certificate of completion.
Approximately 3 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
Anyone working in the health service and care sectors, however, the section on how to move objects safely is applicable to anyone who may need to lift items as part of their duties.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course
“Well explained and you have plenty of time to take the info in. very impressed! – LP”
“I found it really interesting and it has refreshed my knowledge in moving and handling. It was easy to navigate through the modules and I like the fact that it is interactive as I think this helps you to retain information if you have to actually do activities rather than just reading the information.” – CS
“The content was easy to follow with clear instructions.” – AJ
10 to 49 users – 10% discount
50 to 99 users – 20% discount
100 to 249 users – 33% discount
250 to 499 users – 50% discount
500 to 999 users – 60% discount
1000 to 1999 users – 75% discount
2000+ users – 80% discount
To find out about discounts on mixed course purchases please phone a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218.
Discounts are calculated during the checkout process.
The most straight forward method of payment is to select the number of users you require and add the product to your shopping cart by selecting Add to Cart. You will then be able to make payment using most credit and debit cards or a Paypal account. If you would like to pay by BACs transfer or by invoice please contact a customer advisor on 0844 854 9218 or email [email protected]