Aims of the HND
An HND in Business covers a range of subject topics which are relevant to modern business practices and to university degree programmes. It will provide a breadth of competences.
The specific aims of HND Business are to:
- develop suitable competencies to enhance an administrative, commercial or managerial career on which they have already embarked
- enable candidates to progress to further professional, academic or vocational qualifications
- adopt an innovative and creative approach to their work and be able to respond quickly to the challenges posed by changes in the business environment
- develop a global understanding of business, marketing and consumer issues
- enable candidates to consider and revisit core business issues and develop a depth of understanding from a managerial perspective
- further develop organisational and investigative skills
- promote the development of transferable skills in planning, organising and evaluation and enable the candidate to investigate business issues and problems
Structure of the HND
Candidates will be awarded an HND in Business on successful completion of the following Units:
- Managing People and Organisations
- Marketing: An Introduction
- Economic Issues: An Introduction
- Business Accounting
- Communication: Analysing and Presenting Complex Communication
- IT in Business: Spreadsheets
- IT: Applications Software 1
- Business Culture and Strategy
- Behavioural Skills for Business
- Economics 1: Micro and Macro Theory and Application
- Economics 2: The World Economy
- Information and Communication Technology in Business
- Statistics for Business
- Preparing Financial Forecasts
- Business Law: An Introduction
- Business Contractual Relationships
- Business Graded Unit 1
- Business Graded Unit 2
- Creating a Culture of Customer Care
- Personal Financial Services
- Human Resource Management: Introduction
- Marketing Research Theory
- Office Management
How the course is delivered
The HND is delivered via a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which provides access to case studies, learning materials and activities, presentations, and web links. Online tutor support and guidance is provided throughout the course, where learners can interact with the tutors, get feedback on their progress and submit their work electronically. This helps you to build relevant skills progressively, as you receive feedback and support from your tutor. As the course is delivered online, this enables you to learn any time, any place through immediate access to the VLE.
Upon successful completion of the course you will be awarded an HND (Higher National Diploma) by SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority).
About SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority)
SQA is Scotland’s national body for qualifications. They are a world leader in education and training and are accountable to the Scottish Government for the work they do, and they work on educational projects with governments throughout the world.
SQA provides high-quality, relevant and flexible qualifications and assessments, embedding and instilling industry standards. There’s no better set of qualifications for up-skilling a workforce, or for progressing in a career and education.
Gaining entry to University
Articulation arrangements exist between a number of UK Universities where students who have completed their HND will be able to apply to university for entry into year 2 or year 3 of an undergraduate Honours degree programme. Depending on the specific degree programme, certain Units may be required as part of the HND course content.
Professional body memberships
Candidates completing HND Business are guaranteed Associate Grade of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) with the designatory letters ACMI. HND Business graduates who also have three years management experience will be guaranteed Member Grade with the designatory letters MCMI. Graduates are required to contact us if they wish to apply for the relevant membership.
The Chartered Institute of Bankers for Scotland will accept holders of HND directly into their higher level qualification. This is now called Chartered Banker and leads to MCIBS (Member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland).
- An appropriate level of skill in English language. International learners will be required to have ILETS 5.5 or equivalent.
- Different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, Vocational Qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may be acceptable, as would suitable industry standard qualifications at an appropriate level.
- Mature candidates with suitable work experience may be accepted for entry if they are likely to benefit from undertaking the qualification.
In addition, candidates should possess good communication and analytical skills, along with a desire to attain the professional and personal requirements of an operational or senior manager.
You will be assessed throughout the HND qualification on a Unit by Unit basis, with assessments taking the form of practical assignments, examinations and case studies.
10% discount for 10 or more users purchased. For purchases of 50 users or more phone 0844 854 9218 to find out if larger discounts are available.